Thursday, January 24, 2013

Welcome!


Wow! It’s so great to be here! I'm so excited to share my thoughts and insights about the library field with you all! 

I’ve been pondering this first post for the better part of a week … I could talk about that interesting Pew Internet study that hit the interwebs earlier this week … or how eBooks are taking a toll on libraries and publishing … or how book clubs are awesome and every library should have one or three … however, I chose to leave those beefy posts for a bit later. And tell you a little about me because it’s always nice to know a little about the voice behind the voice, if you know what I mean. 

So grab your coffee and prop up your feet … go ahead … I’ll wait ….


So remember when you interviewed for your first library job, or if you’re not there yet, when you got asked that age old question “Why do you want to be a librarian?” 

To that I answer: I have a passion for reading (don’t we all) and I enjoy working with all kinds of people, which is a good thing considering I interact with a variety of folks on a daily basis.  But the BEST part, in my opinion, is ALL of the questions I get to ask every day! I thrive on questions and answers and am forever asking my coworkers, my twitter followers, and my family and friends oodles of questions. Even questioning things that I know the answer to, just do double check myself. 

And second best is the technology – oh the technology involved in librarianship – staggering how fast it moves huh!?  Part of my job is to learn and to actively keep up with this technology….and, well, I’ll be honest, it makes my heart skip a beat. 

But that’s enough about me – tell me about you dear readers – why did you decide to be a librarian? Or if you’re pursuing your MLS, what made you make that leap? 

Til next time …

1 comment:

  1. Being a librarian lets me combine performing, storytelling, being nosy and answering questions, teaching, reading and talking about books, and making crafty things all in one. It's amazing! I love my job as a Youth Services Librarian...I knew as soon as I thought about getting my MLS that this was the right field.

    ReplyDelete