Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Best Of Us: A Book Review

So now that the holidays are behind us you've settled back into your routine at work, and with reading right?

Good, I'm glad - because I want to share with you a book that I recently read that I absolutely fell in love with. Granted I adore this author to begin with and her latest work just captivated me and I swear my reading speed increased twofold!

If you are into authors such as Jennifer Weiner, Emily Giffin, and Allison Winn Scotch, you will also adore Sarah Pekkanen  : her characters are genuine, and imperfect; the situations they are in are realistic and will tug at your heart and leave you thinking well after you turned the last page.

Take a look at my review for her latest book - out April 9, 2013



Pekkanen’s fourth novel is like that first bite of a fresh from the oven chocolate chip cookie – it just feels like home. Following in the footsteps of her three other novels, the writing, the depth of characters and the story do not let the reader down. She paves her own path in women’s literature and continues to make a name for herself.

This story follows the lives of four couples as they reunite in Jamaica to celebrate their college friend’s 35th birthday. Throughout the novel we learn that their marriages are not what they seem; that the women struggle with things including fertility, health, self-esteem, and acceptance. The men, too, have their own issues with money, infidelity, and acceptance. 

Pekkanen delicately guides us to the conclusion that no marriage and no person is perfect- and that is okay. 

This novel is both heartwarming and heartbreaking in its depiction of what it means to be married, a woman, a daughter, a mother, and a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment